So to create this note field we can add a field similar to the following: Note: Share Point uses the suffix _0 appended to the display name of the field and Tax HTField0 after the static name so I’m following those conventions.
To link the two together we can update the field we created in step one to include a customization section that points to the note field as shown below: Note the value within the Text Field property is the ID of the note field we created above.
To recap on the previous post we are aiming to avoid the following problems when creating Share Point 2010 taxonomy fields through features: We found the first problem was due to a missing note field when creating a list definition that used the site column.
The second problem was due to the missing Tax Catch All and Tax Catch All Label columns and missing event receivers on the list definition.
This should be done as a separate web scoped feature.
All going well we will now have a list that contains a correctly functioning managed metadata field which automatically gets extracted during search processing and displayed in the search refinement panel as shown below.
At least in my testing when we create a list definition this isn’t all wired up correctly and the following steps were required.
You won’t get any obvious error messages and the feature is hidden so you won’t see it in the site features list either.When we add either the site column or content type to a list the managed metadata field works and shows up in the search refinement panel (at least it did in my testing).